- SlutWalk on this Saturday, October 1st in NYC. Be there!!! (Unless like me, you have to get a root canal.) There are so many reasons to go.
- What will happen if the media continues to ignore the Wall Street occupation? In fact, the answer to that question is already playing out, as numerous videos capture violent treatment and arrests of protesters. Check out Occupy Wall Street’s website, and ask yourself: Where am I getting my news? Is it reliable?
- And here’s an historical perspective on occupying Wall Street.
- A little bit of perspective on the latest slough of “retro-sexism” on television.
- Bitch magazine explores prison culture and hypermasculinity:
Stuck in a homogenized, tightly controlled and dehumanizing “total institution,” in sociology speak, wherein everyone wears the same thing, eats the same thing, and sleeps and showers in the same paltry conditions, the only means to autonomy is through hardened hypermasculinity.
- Inspirational and innovative approach to fighting cervical cancer on a global scale. Also the #1 most popular article on NYTimes.com yesterday. All I can say is HECK YEAH.
- Colorlines reports on the new, horrifying anti-immigration legislation that just made Alabama the most xenophobic state in the U.S. Now it’s a waiting game: will the Supreme Court uphold a state’s right to create its own immigration regime?
“Today is a dark day for Alabama,” Mary Bauer, the Southern Poverty Law Center’s legal director, said Wednesday in a statement. “This decision not only places Alabama on the wrong side of history but also demonstrates that the rights and freedoms so fundamental to our nation and its history can be manipulated by hate and political agendas – at least for a time.”
Keep your eye out for the October Issue of re/visionist, coming soon! In the mean time, “Like” us on Facebook. Takes 4-10 seconds, depending on the speed of your internet connection.