Its been awhile, friends and readers!! I’ve been bouncing around, adjusting to a summer job and detoxing my brain from school. But I haven’t stopped reading!! Here are some of the pieces that have caught my eye as of late. Happy perusing! <3 Why that Harvard/Tufts Study Isn’t Breaking News Racialicious: “Another week, another head-scratching study result. Or so you’d think, right? The study, conducted by researchers at … Continue reading Linkety Links: Rape in Prisons, White Privilege and Feminists, Hotels, Pervs, and More!!
The U.S. Maternal Healthcare Crisis: 14 Numbers You Need to Know Science & Sensibility: “Mother’s Day is May 8. At Amnesty International USA, we’re honoring mothers by fighting for maternal health — sending Mother’s Day action cards to U.S. and international decision-makers, hosting events and more (sign up at amnestyusa.org/mothersday). Amnesty is also launching a One-Year Update to our groundbreaking report, Deadly Delivery: The Maternal Health Care … Continue reading Some links!!: Mother’s Day stories, a sweet zine, and how to deal with anger
Hey hey hello there! I was trying to wait until the end of the week to post links, but all of a sudden this morning I already had so many. Here are some the news bits that have caught my eye so far this week. Enjoy! – Katrina In Search Of Meaning: Osama Bin Laden and the Dancing Americans Mondoweiss: “Those of us that know … Continue reading So Far This Week: Osama’s death, the GOP and rape/abortion, the history of rainbow pride, and more!
It’s Time to Talk to Employers About Domestic Worker’s Rights ColorLines: “The first of its kind in the nation, the so-called “nanny law” grants fundamental labor protections to some 200,000 full-time and live-in nannies, housekeepers and elder-care providers in the state.” Mom Sues After Daughter Is Pictured on Anti-Abortion Billboard Jezebel: “The New York billboard that linked abortion with African-American genocide has been taken down, … Continue reading This Week: Domestic Workers Rights, Anti-Abortion Ads, & More
Georgia passes immigration bill similar to Arizona’s Los Angeles Times: “Police would be given the power to check the immigration status of ‘criminal’ suspects and many businesses would be required to do the same with potential hires.” France’s Anti-Muslim Burqa Ban Goes Into Effect ColorLines: “Veiled women in France now risk facing a fine of €150 ($215) and a citizenship course or up to 4 … Continue reading This Week: Immigration in the East, France’s Burqa Ban, & more
Of the 1%, by the 1%, for the 1% Vanity Fair: “The top 1 percent have the best houses, the best educations, the best doctors, and the best lifestyles, but there is one thing that money doesn’t seem to have bought: an understanding that their fate is bound up with how the other 99 percent live. Throughout history, this is something that the top 1 … Continue reading This Week: The Top 1%, Street Harrassment, & more
Fat Stigma Spreads Around the Globe New York Times: “The findings were troubling, suggesting that negative perceptions about people who are overweight may soon become the cultural norm in some countries, including places where plumper, larger bodies traditionally have been viewed as attractive, according to a new report in the journal Current Anthropology.” Gadhafi’s Revolutionary Nuns: An All-Female Team of Bodyguards Protects the Libyan Leader … Continue reading This Week: Fat Stigma, Gadhafi’s Nuns, & more
The Year’s Top 10 Women’s Movement Victories ColorLines: “In honor of women around around the world, the Global Fund for Women looks back over the past year and celebrates the extraordinary victories by women’s movements around the world.” Sound-Off: I’d Wished I Had Planned Parenthood Essence: “The ill-performed procedure led to an infection and I could have died because I bled so much. I kept … Continue reading This Week: The War on Women, Women’s Victories, & more
For Your Women’s History Month: Loretta Ross on the Origin of ‘Women of Color’ Racialicious: “And I think it’s a setback when we disintegrate as people of color around primitive ethnic claiming. Yes, we are Asian American, Native American, whatever, but the point is, when you choose to work with other people who are minoritized by oppression, you’ve lifted yourself out of that basic identity … Continue reading This Week: Anti-Abortion Billboards, Men & HPV, & more
Egypt’s Nawal El Saadawi: ‘We Will Not Let Egypt Burn’ The Root: “NS: I don’t expect the power or support or interference of anyone, of any government. We here in Egypt are fed up with U.S. colonialism.” Sister Song and the Trust Black Women Partnership: “Black women are not the pawns of these white people who erect such billboards. We find them offensive, racist, sexist … Continue reading This Week: Trust Black Women, Egypt Against US Colonialism, & more